Ensuring safety and good educational outcomes
Responsible Attendance promotes collaboration with the family, the school and other support agencies to ensure good educational outcomes for the child. Research the world over emphasises the impact absence has on pupil attainment and especially so for vulnerable learners. Responsible Attendance ensures the access of education for all children regardless of background, circumstance or need through greater collaboration and targeting.
Key features of Responsible Attendance
- Quick identification of children that could become Persistent Absent.
- Extra focus on children at risk of low attainment and becoming persistently absent (Pupil Premium, FSM, SEND).
- Thorough assessment to identify root causes for absence, by year group, theme, category and by pupil.
- Profiling of pupil progress to enable broader discussion with family about the impact absence has on their child’s attainment.
- Swift and early help to identify and remove barriers to learning.
- Effective attendance support, time-bound to ensure improvements, no quick fixes or drift.
- The welfare of children, through the confirmation of their whereabouts and safety.
- Prevents and/or reduces persistent absence.
- Prevents children and young people from being involved in antisocial behaviour and crime.
- Mitigates the negative impact of poverty for children by ensuring they fulfil their educational potential.