“The Attendance Advisor helped me with housing and financial issues… and to get my child’s attendance back on track” – parentParent
Our Attendance Advisors understand absence in context of children’s lives. They advocate children’s best interests in regard of their education, wellbeing and wider development.
- Child centred – we put children front and centre of the attendance support.
- Sensitive – listening, we give time and opportunity to understand perspectives.
- Holistic – we understand the child in relation to their family, school and community.
- Early Help – we help remove barriers to achieving regular attendance.
- Multi-agency – where needed, we lead Team Around the Family (TAF) support.
- Evidential – for improvement planning, SEF and inspections (Ofsted).
We understand the impact poverty has on children, their learning, mental health and wellbeing.
Mental Health and Wellbeing
We understand the impact mental health can have on attending school/education. We are trauma informed because traumatic life experiences can significantly impact children’s lives and attainment.
We enable and promote understanding about attending school/education during this time (COVID-19), inclusive of when to shield, self-isolate, undertake remote learning.
- We help families reduce the risk of contracting coronavirus (COVID-19).
- We provide information, advice and guidance about test and trace.
- We support other areas: housing, access to food, relational, economics and finances, safeguarding and wellbeing.
Ensuring participation in education:
- We provide advice about education platforms to ensure remote learning.
- We understand requirements/resources for remote learning e.g. pens, pencils, paper and other stationery materials.
- We understand resources for IT, Online and Devices, comprehension for and application of their use.
- We provide advice and guidance about home learning workspaces and routines.
- Legal measures – where necessary, we undertake legal work to secure regular attendance – see Legal.
- Children’s safeguarding – all of our work is to ensure children’s welfare and safeguarding.
- Data protection – we are respectful of and compliant to GDPR.
Ofsted – evidencing effectiveness
We help schools in their preparedness for inspections and regarding the submission of evidence for inspections. We do this by:
- providing the Attendance Plan and Performance Schedule.
- providing examples of good practice to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Attendance Support, inclusive of the impact on children’s learning, and the collaboration to achieve this (home, school/education, partner agencies).
Protecting children’s safety and wellbeing
Protecting against data breaches
Find out more – Say hello